Alan George was built by the Hunslet Engine Company, Leeds in 1894, and assigned makers number 606. One of many distinctive engines that have come to typify the North Wales narrow gauge quarry workings, known as 'Quarry Hunslets'. The engines were used on the high level workings and doubtless had a hard working life, with minimal maintenance and running over poor quality track.
The outside frame arrangement and low mounted boiler and saddle tank make the engine very stable, while the large cylinders give plenty of power! The firebox is very wide and short, and the engine required careful attention to ensure there is plenty of steam just when it is needed.
Alan George spent its working life in the Penrhyn slate quarries.
In 1953 the engine was laid up and abandoned until sold into private ownership in 1965, which is when the slate quarry lines closed.