Our Diesel Locomotives
'Sammy' Simplex Motor Rail 4wDM no. 11111 built 1951
This 60hp locomotive came to the Teifi Valley Railway on 28th March 1989 from Alan Keef Ltd., Ross on Wye. It was new to Eastwoods Ltd. of Barrington Cement Works in Cambridgeshire.
Following extensive rebuilding at Henllan, the loco returned to service in June 2019 after an absence of several years.
'John Henry' Ruston & Hornsby 0-4-0DMF no. 433390 built 1959
Built in 1959 by Ruston & Hornsby Ltd, Lincoln, this is an example of a Ruston 'flameproof' loco suitable for working in mines and armaments factories.
The company built a total of 6481 locomotives between 1931 and 1969, the majority of these were narrow gauge locomotives rated between 10hp and 100hp.
In total Ruston's built 23 classes of narrrow gauge locomotives.
'Sholto' Hudson Hunslet 4wDM no. 2433 built 1951
Arriving at Henllan in July 1982 from the Howdenclough Light Railway near Leeds, this diminutive 20hp locomotive was the mainstay of services on the TVR when it opened in 1986.
It had previously been used by the Ministry of Supply (MoD) at Long Marston.
Currently, the loco is out of use pending overhaul.